Canine Vestibular Disease (CVD)
- idiopathic (sudden onset for no know reason) vestibular disease
- geriatric (old dogs) vestibular disease
- peripheral vestibular disease
Vets refer to it also often Canine Stroke, due to the displayed symptoms. It is not a stroke (blood clod in the brain) as we know it from humans.
Causes for CVD can vary and are often unknown, but a few have been identified, like:
Most times the reason is unknown and there for makes treatment almost impossible.
WARNING!! The following movie clips may be disturbing to some viewers.
How to Treat Vestibular Disease in Old Dogs
- Karlee’s IVD (oliversdogs.wordpress.com)
- Thrown off balance (boston.com)
- Diagnostic accuracy of acute vestibular syndrome at the bedside in a stroke unit (springerlink.com)
- Vertigo-associated disorders – All Information (umm.edu)